Humanity has never witnessed a scale of urbanization as fast and intense as China’s. What could possibly remain untarnished by the twists and turns of such rapid urban upheaval? Perhaps an ancient alleyway in a forgotten Hutong? Or maybe a rusty bicycle in a slum, reminiscent of a China decades ago?
The Urban China Initiative (UCI) is organizing the UCI Photo Contest 2015in the hope that it encourages both professional photographers and hobbyists to capture the stories behind China’s urbanization with thought-provoking images.
UCI believes that photographs of the enduring “memories” in China’s urban renewal are the best way to record the battle between old and new in China’s urban sprawls. Several angles may include but are not limited to:
- The confrontation between human-based development and economic development: do urbanites have to conform to a one-size-fits-all model of urban development? How can cities accommodate to the needs of a diverse population?
- The clash between traditional lifestyles and contemporary urban culture: should city-dwellers march with modernity, or stroll in the park and enjoy a slower pace of life?
- The juxtaposition of towering skyscrapers and traditional homes: can they co-exist? Can modern super-structures complement ancient architecture?
Host: The Urban China Initiative (A think tank founded by Columbia University, Tsinghua University, and McKinsey & Company)
Co-organizer: China Photographer’s Association
Media support: China Photographer’s Association Network, International Images Network
2. Winning entries and contest incentives
A. Category and numbers of winning entries
The competition will be divided into three categories: people, places, and creativity. Each category will have one gold prize winner, two silver prize winners, and two bronze prize winners. In addition, the jury will select the outstanding photographs of 10 finalists.
B. Main awards
Gold prize: RMB 4,000
Silver prize: RMB 3,000
Bronze price: RMB 2,000
Top 10 finalists: RMB 200
C. Other awards
i. Gain an honorary certificate by the competition’s organizing committee.
ii. Price winners’ photographs will be displayed on UCI photo exhibition.
iii. Prize winners will have the opportunity to have their images published as part of UCI research publications.
1) Application Form and 2) Attached Photography Work must be submitted by 6th of September, 2015, via email to email@example.com.
For detailed information, please refer to the Rules and Requirement.
For inquiry, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or +86(10)-8525-4931.